Acne scars are “permanent textural change” or depressions that appear on the skin as an after-effect of severe acne. The severe acne is characterized as huge spaces that are filled with pus or acne cysts. Acne cysts can remove or empty the skin tissue that cannot be replaced in the tissue healing process, and often leave behind scars on the affected area of the skin. Acne scars on the chest and back are often lumpy (raised) or hypertrophic (keloid). On the face, acne scars disrupt the skin texture with indented or depressed scars, which may vary in sizes.
The severe acne also leaves behind spots or marks that may first appear as pink spots but get worse with time and become dark brown or black colored spots. Be it acne scars or acne marks, these can make the affected individual very much conscious about their appearance. Acne scars can also occur as a result of the inflammation of the pimples that causes pigmentation on the skin. Pigmentation leads to acne scarring and can be removed with the help of advanced laser technology i.e. Laser Toning. The laser treatment can reduce scarring and pain caused by the painful skin condition, acne.
Laser technology for acne scar removal?
Acne can cause scars on the skin, and these scars can be treated and removed effectively with advanced laser treatment. The laser removes the damaged deep layers of the skin and causes tightening of the middle layer of the skin. This helps in achieving a smoother, scarless, and rejuvenated skin. An individual with active acne, wrinkled skin, or darker skin is not likely to have this treatment. The laser works best for acne scar and pigmentation removal, and this treatment removes acne scarring from the face and other body parts can also be aimed such as arms, back, neck, and upper torso. The latest laser technology that helps in effectively removing acne scars & marks is laser toning with Q-switched laser treatment.
Laser toning is a light-based procedure that is effective in removing acne spots, scarring, and sunspots like pigmentation related skin problems. It interferes with the pigmentation cells and breaks the dark pigmented cells that cause scarring on the skin. This method for laser toning uses Q-switched laser light to rejuvenate the skin. Multiple passes of this laser light are passed through the target area of the skin.
Eventually, the quality of the skin is improved by heating the top layers from the laser light. It regenerates collagen by stimulation and also refines the skin texture. This results in brighter and tighter skin, and the patient can observe changes in their skin texture from the very first session of laser toning. After this treatment, proper skincare is required, and sun exposure should be avoided. This method is non-invasive, less time taking, has fewer side effects and less risk than other treatments.
The procedure of Laser Toning
- In the first step, double cleansing of the skin is performed for the removal of all makeup, dirt, and impurities from the skin.
- A mild exfoliation or gentle scrubbing is done to remove all the dead skin cells from the face.
- A local anaesthetic is applied to the skin to minimize discomfort during the procedure.
- Before starting the procedure, eyes are kept covered through the gauge and protective glasses.
- Then multiple passes of Q-switched laser are made on the targeted skin area.
- The next step is focused on calming and soothing the skin, and a very cooling mask is applied on the face for 15 minutes.
- After removing the mask, a healing cream with good SPF sun protection is applied
Benefits of Q-switched laser
- It helps in minimising the brown/black spots and indented scars with successive sessions.
- A great difference can be observed only after one session of this treatment.
- According to the skin condition, one can go for this treatment more than two or three times to get desired results. The dermatologist can advice regarding the required no. of sessions.
- This treatment is also effective for the removal of fine lines, acne spots, and redness. Therefore, helps in overall skin rejuvenation.
- It is a cost-effective treatment.
Risks and complications?
- Swollen skin
- Pain at the treatment site
The above-mentioned issues are only temporary and generally subside within a few hours or a couple of days.